Top 3 Powerfully Cleansing Oils for Cleaning
Cleaning is a non-negotiable task. We all have to do it at some point.
Every week (or every day!), we clean our homes, clean our cars, clean our offices, and generally ensure that everything is in order.
After I finish cleaning, I always feel so much better. Organizing does wonders for the soul! Yet, how often do we give thought to what kinds of products we are using?
If you’ve been following me for awhile, you know I am a huge advocate for cleansing. Cleansing helps to rid the body of harmful toxins and parasites that have a major effect on our health. But, ridding the body of bad things is only part of the equation. The other part is to reduce your toxic load.
What is toxic load? It is the accumulation over time of harmful chemicals and the accompanying burden it puts on your body, especially your organs. Your body is equipped to deal with toxins, but it can only process so much at once.
To decrease your toxic load, you must reduce the amount of harmful chemicals you expose yourself to daily.
When it comes to cleaning, I want the products I use to smell great and to be super effective. But, I also want them to be healthier. We can do incredible damage to our bodies if we aren’t careful with what we use for cleaning. Check out some of these statistics from the EWG (#1):
1. Some 53 percent of cleaning products assessed by EWG (Environmental Working Group) contain ingredients known to harm the lungs. About 22 percent contain chemicals reported to cause asthma to develop in otherwise healthy individuals.
2. Chloroform, a suspected human carcinogen, sometimes escapes in fumes released by products containing chlorine bleach.
3. Many leading “green” brands sell highly rated products, among them is dōTERRA’s On Guard Cleaner Concentrate. But not all cleaners marketed as environmentally conscious score high. Some “green” brands, including Earth Friendly Products and BabyGanics, do not disclose ingredients adequately.
So here’s the deal: cleaning products need to be effective to make cleaning easier, but that effectiveness cannot come at the expense of your health!
So, without further delay, let me introduce you to 3 powerful oils for cleaning:
While On Guard is a proprietary blend of essential oils rather than a single essential oil, it is perhaps the most beloved essential oil blend for cleaning, at least as far as dōTERRA products are concerned. dōTERRA On Guard, is also a natural and effective support for your immune system.
As one of dōTERRA’s best-selling blends, dōTERRA On Guard protects against environmental and seasonal threats with essential oils known for their supportive effects on the immune system. It is commonly used on surfaces throughout the home as a non-toxic cleaner. When diffused, dōTERRA On Guard helps purify the air, and can be very energizing and uplifting.
Here is a simple recipe you can use to incorporate On Guard in your cleaning routines:
All-Purpose Spray Recipe
- To a 16 oz GLASS spray bottle, add 25 drops of dōTERRA Lemon oil and 5-10 drops of dōTERRA On Guard oil.
- Add 1/4 cup white vinegar and 1 tbsp liquid castile soap
- Fill to a half-inch below rim with water.
Lavender essential oil is perhaps the most aromatically pleasant of all powerfully cleansing oils for cleaning. Due to Lavender’s versatile properties, it is considered a must-have oil to have on hand at all times.
I love using dryer balls because they are so easy to use. I purchase wool or alpaca dryer balls and I simply add a few drops of lavender essential oil to the dryer ball and put it in the drying machine.
Dryer Sheet Alternative
- Dryer Balls (Wool or Alpaca)
- 5-6 drops dōTERRA Lavender, Easy Air (aka Breathe), or Peppermint essential oil
- Add 5 or 6 drops of chosen essential oil around surface of a dryer ball.
- Place dryer ball in dryer and use dryer normally.
- Recommended: 3-4 scented dryer balls for a medium load.
- Note: If you have the option to air dry, it is even more effective to put the oils onto the dryer balls after the heat cycle. Air dry for 10 to 15 minutes with the essential oils on the dryer balls.
Lemon is an extremely powerful, cleansing essential oil. It’s refreshing scent, many uses and low price-point make it one of dōTERRA’s top-selling essential oils. Lemon is a cleansing agent that purifies the air and surfaces, and can be used as a non-toxic cleaner throughout the home.
DIY Furniture Polish
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1O drops dōTERRA Lemon oil
- Add olive oil and vinegar to a glass spray bottle.
- Add 10 drops of essential oil.
- Shake well before each use.
- Apply to microfiber cloth and wipe wood surfaces clean.
- Repeat every two to three months or as often as needed.
You can reduce your toxic load and clean in a healthier way by replacing chemical cleaners with natural alternatives. Be sure to do your research and read labels. If you’re not sure, call the manufacturer! Any company with integrity will tell you what is in their products.
Essential oils have powerful properties to fight environmental threats, which make them my go-to solution. I personally feel safer using products from dōTERRA as they are VERY transparent with the ingredients they use. I can feel and smell the difference. 😊
Link #1: https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/