5 Mother’s Day Gifts for Older Mothers
Being a mother is not a static state. As time passes, my needs and desires and dreams change. For instance, in the past, Mother’s Day in my home involved my kids making super cute & crafty cards, our family having an exciting gift-giving time where my kids would present me with endearing treasures (that they found in my room, of course), and then my husband and my kids taking me out for a fancy lunch, or something along those lines.
Now, however, my dream Mother’s Day is much less intense. Ideally, I think the day would start with the sound of silence, where I have a warm cup of tea in my hand, a gluten & dairy free breakfast in bed, and then a comfortable afternoon walk in the sun through the nearby conservation area. And a few small gifts of chocolate and tea would be appreciated, of course.
Even in my own relationship with my mother, I have had to change my gifts to adapt to her shifting lifestyle. This is true of all older mothers, whether they live with you, live on their own, or live in a nursing home. But while Mother’s Day may look slightly different over time, the heart remains the same:
To bless and thank our moms for the selfless sacrifices and beautiful blessings that they have given us.
So what does this look like for mature mothers? Well, I’ve given it some thought, and here are the top 5 suggestions for Mother’s Day gifts for older mothers![directions title=”5 Mother’s Day Gifts for Older Mothers”]
- Man Aromatherapy Hand Massage is a lovely way to serve your mom and show her that you love her. The Aromatouch Hand Massage Technique is incredibly easy to lean—just search those words in YouTube and you will find a bunch of short videos that show you how to do it. I would suggest using a soothing oil like Lavender to do the massage if you want to help your mom relax. Alternatively, if your mother faces health challenges that make her hands and muscles sore, I would recommend using Aromatouch or Deep Blue, both of which are essential oils that have therapeutic properties that ease tension in muscles and combat joint & strong muscle discomfort.
- A Spa Date is perfect for mothers of all ages, both young and old. All of my kids know how much I love the spa; in fact, my 20-year-old daughter and my 6-year-old son even love to come with me. So if my kids paid for me to go to the spa? That would be such a beautiful blessing! And of course, if it is difficult for your mother to move around with ease and enjoy a day out at the spa, you can always use some natural essential oil skincare and spa products and bring the spa to her!
- On the topic of spa products and skincare lines, dōTERRA’s Immortelle blend is a powerful combination of essential oils that works to combat hyper-pigmentation and strengthen skin health. As women age, skincare becomes increasingly important, so this would be a super considerate and practical Mother’s Day gift for older mothers!
- Dinner is always a great go-to-gift, especially for older mothers who have likely spent years cooking dinner for toddlers, teenagers, and young adults. The chances are, your mother would love the chance to forget about making dinner and simply enjoy a delicious meal with you. So treat her and take her out to one of her favourite restaurants!
- Last but certainly not least, do some DIY and make her a gift! While all of us want to make our moms feel super special by buying her something special, the reality is that some of the most precious gifts that I have received from my kids were handmade: creative drawings, finger paintings, or sticker-covered cards. These are the gifts that my husband and I have kept over the last two decades of Mother’s Days and Father’s Days. So get creative! Whether you make your mom a card or a painting, a handmade pottery mug or a homemade candle, a natural body lotion or a lip balm with essential oils, she is bound to love it! And I guarantee you that the time, effort, and thoughtfulness that you put into your DIY gift will speak volumes to your mother and remind her that, even though you are both all grown up now, you are still her child and she is still your hero.
Do you have other suggestions for Mother’s Day gifts for older mothers? Comment below and let me know!