Purifying your air and cleaning your home are non-negotiable tasks, but did you know that you can use essential oils to purify air and clean your home? Non-toxic cleaning products are both extremely effective and won’t harm you or your family. Using essential oils is an especially powerful way to get an effective clean, both for your home and your body.
Every week (or every day!), we clean our homes, our cars, and our offices. And, accomplishing a thorough cleaning can be very rewarding. Organizing does wonders for the soul!
But, how often do we give thought to what kinds of products we are using during our cleaning and organizing?
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know I am a huge advocate for cleansing the body. Cleansing helps to rid the body of harmful toxins and parasites that have a significant, negative effect on physical and mental health. But, ridding the body of bad things is only part of the equation. The other part is to reduce your toxic load so that toxins don’t build up in the first place.
What is toxic load? It is the accumulation of harmful chemicals over time and the accompanying burden it puts on your body, especially your organs. Your body is equipped to deal with toxins, but it can only process so much at once. To decrease your toxic load, you must reduce the amount of harmful chemicals you expose yourself to daily.
When it comes to cleaning, I want the products I use to smell great and to be super effective. But, I also want them to be “clean”, i.e. non-toxic. We can do incredible damage to our bodies if we aren’t careful with what we use for cleaning. Check out some of these statistics from the EWG (#1):
- Some 53 percent of cleaning products assessed by EWG (Environmental Working Group) contain ingredients known to harm the lungs. About 22 percent contain chemicals reported to cause asthma to develop in otherwise healthy individuals.(1)
- Chloroform, a suspected human carcinogen, sometimes escapes in fumes released by products containing chlorine bleach.(1)
- Many leading “green” brands sell highly rated products, among them is dōTERRA’s On Guard Cleaner Concentrate. But not all cleaners marketed as environmentally conscious score high. Some “green” brands, including Earth Friendly Products and BabyGanics, do not disclose ingredients adequately.(1)
So here’s the deal: cleaning products need to be effective to make cleaning easier, but that effectiveness cannot come at the expense of your health! Make the change to natural, non-toxic cleaning products TODAY!
To help you in this process, let me introduce you to three of my favourite essential oils for cleaning air and cleaning the home.
3 essential oils to purify air and clean your home
All-Purpose Spray Recipe
- To a 16 oz GLASS spray bottle, add 25 drops of dōTERRA Lemon oil and 5-10 drops of dōTERRA On Guard oil.
- Add 1/4 cup white vinegar and 1 tbsp liquid castile soap.
- Fill to a half-inch below rim with water.
Note: Even though this is a relatively simple recipe to make, I find it much easier and more cost-effective to just purchase doTERRA’s On Guard Cleaner concentrate.
Lavender essential oil is perhaps the most aromatically pleasant of all powerful oils for cleaning. Due to Lavender’s versatile properties, it is considered a must-have oil to have on hand at all times.
I love using dryer balls because they are so easy to use. I purchase wool or alpaca dryer balls and I simply add a few drops of lavender essential oil to the dryer ball and put it in the drying machine.
Dryer Sheet Alternative
- Dryer Balls (Wool or Alpaca)
- 5-6 drops dōTERRA Lavender, Easy Air (aka ‘Breathe’ in the US), or Peppermint essential oil
- Add 5 or 6 drops of chosen essential oil around surface of a dryer ball.
- Place dryer ball in dryer and use dryer normally.
- Recommended: 3-4 scented dryer balls for a medium load.
Note: If you have the option to air dry, it is even more effective to put the oils onto the dryer balls after the heat cycle. Air dry for 10 to 15 minutes with the essential oils on the dryer balls.
Lemon is an extremely powerful, cleansing essential oil. Its refreshing scent, many uses, and low price-point make it one of dōTERRA’s top-selling essential oils. Lemon is a cleansing agent that purifies air and surfaces. It can be used as a non-toxic cleaner throughout the home.
DIY Furniture Polish
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 10 drops dōTERRA Lemon oil
- Add olive oil and vinegar to a glass spray bottle.
- Add 10 drops of essential oil.
- Shake well before each use.
- Apply to microfiber cloth and wipe wood surfaces clean.
- Repeat every two to three months or as often as needed.
You can reduce your toxic load and clean in a healthier way by replacing chemical cleaners with natural alternatives. Be sure to do your research and read labels. If you’re not sure, call the manufacturer! Any company with integrity will tell you what is in their products.
Essential oils have powerful properties to fight environmental threats, which make them my go-to solution. I personally feel safer using products from dōTERRA as they are VERY transparent with the ingredients they use. I can feel and smell the difference.
Want to learn more?
Learn how to support your health with essential oils in this comprehensive eBook.
When you purchase through me, you get 25% off, plus education, support & free product!
If you’ve got a health challenge you’d like a natural option for, let me share my experience!